Illness and COVID-19 information
Individuals who are experiencing symptoms of flu, COVID-19, or gastrointestinal distress
Test for COVID-19 prior to returning to campus. If symptoms warrant, consider testing for flu, strep, or other illnesses.
The individual may return to school if ALL the following conditions are true:
- Test results are negative
- Symptoms are improving
- The individual is fever-free for 24 hours without the use of fever-reducing medications
- It has been 24 hours since an incident of vomiting or diarrhea.
Wear a well-fitted KN95-type mask indoors until flu or COVID-19 symptoms have fully resolved.
Individuals who have been exposed to COVID-19
Individuals who have had a significant COVID-19 exposure (e.g., household exposure or prolonged close contact indoors) should wear a well-fitted, high-quality KN95-type mask indoors for seven days following exposure.
Individuals must monitor carefully for symptoms and stay home and test if not feeling well, even if symptoms are mild.
Test frequently for COVID-19. We recommend testing daily if possible, or at a minimum immediately upon learning of exposure and at least on day three and day 6 after exposure.
Individuals who test positive for COVID-19
- Inform the health team () of the diagnosis and follow all CDC requirements.
- Stay home and isolate for at least five days (CDC defines day one as the day after the positive test).
- On day 6, if the individual has no symptoms or symptoms are resolving, and they are fever-free for 24 hours without the use of fever-reducing medication, they may return to school (even if they are still testing positive).
- Per CDC and Waynflete, individuals are REQUIRED to wear a well fitting KN95-type mask from days 6–10, indoors and outdoors.
- We recommend that individuals who are still testing positive with a rapid antigen test after 10 days continue to wear a mask until they no longer test positive.
Students in the EC program may need to return for half-days only during days 6–10 as we cannot accommodate unmasked nap time. Please discuss with the health team for more information.
Athletes who are returning after a COVID-19 diagnosis
Following an asymptomatic or mild COVID-19 infection, a student-athlete may return to athletic participation on day six, i.e., following five-day isolation (day 1 is the first day after positive test) if they are otherwise healthy and meet criteria in the policy for returning to school after COVID-19 diagnosis. If the student-athlete had a moderate or severe infection, their PCP should provide the Waynflete health team with specific guidance for their return to athletics.